Martin Monk is a German film director and screenwriter of English and Russian descent. After studying history and philosophy he turned to fictional filmmaking, directing several self-produced short films before being selected by Michael Haneke as an M.A. Directing student at Film Academy Vienna. His latest work Favoriten traces the steps of a runaway girl in search of her father and is an Official Selection at the 72nd Festival de Cannes. Analog photography, a passion since youth, remains a major source of inspiration for his cinematic work.Filmography:2013: Happy Tears2017: Alphamädchen2019: Favourites
Festival(s) & Award(s)
- 2019: FESTIVAL DE CANNES - CINEFONDATION
- 2019: Raindance Film Festival
After falling out with her mother, juvenile Sofia hitchhikes southwards in search of the father she never had.
When she meets grumpy engineer Michael, who reluctantly agrees to give her a lift, the two strangers develop an unlikely friendship on their shared journey through the Austrian south.
- Runtimes: 18'
- Color(s): Colors
- Sound: Stereo
- Country(ies) of production: Austria
- Original Language(s): German
- Subtitle(s) available: English
- Audience: General Audiences
- Format(s) available: ProRes HD
Artistic & Technical Crew
- Screenplay: Martin Monk
- Cinematographer: Johannes Höß
- Editor: Felix Kalaivanan
- Sound: Julia Willi
- Producer: Michaela Finis
- Produced by: Film Academy Vienna