Jan & Raf RoosensBiography:
The Belgian brothers Jan & Raf Roosens teamed up after graduating, and founded the Antwerp based production company Rococo where they produce and direct together.Busy making commercials and music videos on the regular, fiction is where their heart is. In 2012 they shot their first short film 'Rotkop' (English: Skunk), which won several awards at internationally acclaimed festivals including Slamdance Film Festival, qualifying 'Rotkop' for Oscar selection in 2013.In 2015, they completed 'Copain', their second short film. Meanwhile they are working on their first feature film that recently received support from the Flanders Audiovisual Fund.Filmography:2013: Skunk
Festival(s) & Award(s)
- 2015: FESTIVAL DE CANNES | Official Short Film Competition
- 2015: Palm Springs International ShortFest (USA)
- 2015: Guanajuato International Film Festival
- 2015: Odense International Film Festival
- 2015: Athens International Film Festival
- 2015: Stockholm International Film Festival
- 2015: Cairo International Film Festival
- 2015: Gijon International Film Festival • Best Short Film
- 2015: Festival de Cinéma Europeen des Arcs
Fré is a teenager stuck between his conservative, wealthy family and his lower-class friends.
He manages to keep the two worlds separated, until he falls in love…
Copain’s mainly young cast comes from a divers mixture of backgrounds and interests.
Hicham Mallouli and Desmond Badu, the young men who play Copain’s alter ego, have had a rough time growing up, and have literally found their way out of prison by being creative.
They’re both been involved in Young Age Music, an Antwerp Hip Hop and Rap collective for young creative musicians and entertainers, keeping each other on their toes and off the streets. In contrast, the main actors Felix Meyer and Anne-Laure Vandeputte are from a different background, and busy studying acting. These differences in background and culture, yet similarities in creative interests, developed an interesting and enriching dynamic between the actors, giving their play a sense of realism, naturalness and chemistry.
For the actors playing Fre’s parents, the directors immediately thought of Jan Hammenecker and Jeanne Dandoy, both actors in Oscar nominated films. Taking part in only a few intense scenes, it was important that these actors held the experience and finesse to instantly represent the atmosphere of a world that the directors were looking to create.
- Runtimes: 15'
- Color(s): Colors
- Ratio: 2,35:1 (Cinemascope)
- Sound: 5.1
- Country(ies) of production: Belgium
- Original Language(s): Dutch / French
- Subtitle(s) available: English
- Format(s) available: ProRes HD
Artistic & Technical Crew
- Screenplay: Bert Van Dael & Sanne Nuyens
- Cinematographer: Grimm Vandekerckhove
- Produced by: Rococo